Friday 30 January 2015

Ghanaian Mack Sigis Porter wishes Peace On You from 1972 [no download review only]




This is from a reissue of the LP.  The Italian Wikipedia has a page about this singer who only made this one, outstanding, record.  Hopefully someone can tell me what it's saying.  I received this courtesy of a friend and again I will not be able to provide a full album but the quality of the music compels me to popularize it.  At first I was a little put off by his vocal resemblance to Jimi Hendrix, but after a few listens, I really 'dug it.'  This man is truly a unique artist.  The odd mixture of lyrics in French and English in particular makes for a really soulful sound, along with the deep and absolutely to-the-bone musical spirit of the artist.  Musically this is similar to what Don Anderson (Edo Zanki) attempted on the classic "Eagle Flies."  Please note the vinyl is not at all unaffordable (being a reissue).


Here with the amazing dropped-D tuning effect is a hard number, "Sunday in Neon Lights:"





Contrast that with the bluesy and almost Jackson Brownian "Till the Fall:"





Dear Mack Sigis Porter:

Homo sapiens is not just the wise human, he is the artist human.  This album could be the anthem of our species.




What talent, and what an unjust obsolescence.

I will have more of the review-only posts coming this February for records that really knocked me out-- altogether good news, because we can be assured there are still tons of gems out there!

I would love to share this with all y'all but of course the powers that be, powerful as they be in their constellation Orion looking down upon us from the musical heaven that is their domain, will not allow this to happen-- and I for one completely understand this.  I will do nothing to stop the starflow of hot light down because this music would lead me, were I to be Odysseos, to follow the path to their Siren's song no matter how many beautiful Penelopes awaited me at home sweet home, some ten years ago, some ten thousand leagues hence, nor will I hesitate to give myself completely to their song, untied from the mast, though I pay the price in shipwreck...

2 comments:

  1. we love mac porter!!!! bonzo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac!

    ReplyDelete